DENTURES:What can you do with lower dentures that no matter whats done, it still is not sitting well?
- There are 2 types of dentures that can be made by the direct denture maker / denturist that go with your matching chosen dental implants
- A fixed overdenture it clicks in over the dental implants can't get them out
- A removeable overdenture it clicks on and off ,yes you can get them out
. As anyone who has worn complete upper and lower dentures can probably tell you, sometimes, lower dentures can be a difficult experience. While the upper denture, relying primarily on suction, rarely moves around or slips out, the lower denture is not so easy. Your lower dental jaw is mobile in a way that your upper dental palate is not. Due in large to the movement of your tongue and lower dental jaw, as well as a lack of suction,ill fitting lower dental dentures often require adhesive to prevent shifting around. This shifting can cause gum irritation and also sometimes wears down the dental jawbone.This wearing down can maybe occur up to a rate of about 1mm per year.But each dental implant case is individual. Studies done have shown that people wearing a ill fitting lower dentures are at a significantly greater health risk than those who have well fitting dental implant supported dentures. These health risks are a result of the following factors:
- People with conventional ill fitting dentures avoid hard-to-chew foods.
- Diminished [chewing ability] prevents people with conventional ill fitting dentures from consuming the necessary amount of fruits, vegetables, meats and breads.
- [Denture wearing] individuals have a higher consumption of fat and cholesterol.
- Individuals with dental implant supported dentures have significantly fewer gastrointestinal disorders and better nutrition than those wearing conventional ill fitting dentures.
Dental Implant supported over-dentures are the recommended solution.If your conventional dentures are no longer working well ,maybe its time to try a fixed or removeable denture that is helped to not move by gum dental implants.Your Direct denture maker / denturist is there to help discuss the over-dentures dental implant decision How do they work? The lower denture is anchored in place by dental implants. A dental implant professional (dentist ) places the implants in the jawbone, and then covers them up to allow for healing. This helps the dental implants become osteo-integrated (meaning the bone grows into the implant). The surgery itself takes about one and a half hours. During the healing process the denture can be worn over the covered dental implants after the first seven to ten days. Once the healing has taken place (usually a period of three to four months), the implants are exposed, and then small ball-abutments are screwed onto the dental implants. A connector in the over- denture attaches onto those ball abutments. The over- denture can be removed when needed to clean and rinse the mouth. The dental implants keep the over- denture from sliding around when you eat, giving you more freedom to pick the foods you enjoy. The study showed that clients with over-dentures on their lower had increased health benefits – they were more likely to choose better food, had higher self-confidence, and lower health risk.Direct Denture Makers are trained and able to construct an over- denture that is removeableAuthor: Joseph Minuk